Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Potties, Training and Cloth Diapers, Oh My!

I've been talking about it for a while now and I finally took the plunge. Now that I've done it I'm kicking myself that I didn't start sooner! It may be expensive to begin with, but it's much cheaper in the long run. Next time around we'll be doing it much more.

I'm referring to cloth diapering. Many people told me not to do it. They didn't think I'd be happy with it, that it's too much work. So I have to do a few extra loads of laundry... for me laundry isn't an issue. It's the 'folding things and putting it away' part that I dislike. That's not a problem when it comes to the diapers.

When I first considered it, the thought intrigued me. It appealed to me in several aspects. First, it's better for Emmabuns which is always high on my list. Second, as I mentioned before, I will save money on diapers. Not only for Emma but her future sibling as well (no one read too much into that statement!). What can I say, I'm cheap- I like to save money where ever I can. And last, I'm not throwing so many diapers away every week. I can't saw that I'm "green", but I like to be when I can.

Next came the issue of picking what would work best for us. There are many options out there. So I headed over to EcoBuns and talked to the owner Kellie. She is super helpful and she knows her stuff! We started out with the GroVia diapers which are an all in two. They are a one size diaper, so baby can wear them from birth to potty training. Huge seller for me! The inserts simply snap in. When baby needs to be changed you pull the insert out and snap in a fresh one (did I mention this is super easy?).

Emma started to use the potty around her second birthday. It was her choice and I'm not pushing the matter yet. She goes every night before bed and that's about all she's interested in right now. I started out with one diaper and two extra inserts and have been using them at night only. I now have four diapers along with the two inserts which equates to six changes. I hope to do all cloth in the future.

Emma's pretty happy with her "big girl" diapers too!

No comments: