Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Prayers Please!

Emma is scheduled for a tonsillectomy this morning at 7:00 a.m. Please pray that the surgery goes smoothly and she recovers quickly. I'm not sure who's more anxious at the moment, myself or my toddler! I'll try to update this afternoon...


We have made it home and now my little peanut is resting comfortably on the couch with grandma Jen, eating sherbet and watching movies to her heart's content. It was a long morning though and I'm gearing up for a few long days ahead.

Our check-in time at the hospital was 7:00. I got a whopping 1.5 hours of sleep last night, so I was dragging before we even started. Upon entering the truck and learning where we were going, Emma was not interested in leaving. She put up a fight once we got to the hospital and when we got checked in she wanted nothing to do with her hospital gown.

You can tell how pleased she was with me!
 After we got her ready, they came in and gave her meds to make her a bit drowsy and the transition to the OR go more smoothly. This allowed a few laughs and lightened the mood.

She was trying so hard to pick things up that were merely pictures in her book.

We then had to play the waiting game. To make things go quicker (and honestly to appease the prego lady :) my mom and I went to get breakfast while we waited. She was gone for almost an hour between pre-op, the surgery and post-op.Once they allowed us back in I had to wait patiently until they brought her back to the room.

We were warned by her arrival by this odd screeching noise that I was surprised to discover was coming from my child. She was trying to climb out of her bed while clawing at her iv and face. It took almost an hour for her to really settle down- thank goodness for pain meds! Then it took another hour to convince her to eat a popsicle so we could leave.

Cuddling quietly with Daddy after her surgery.
 After she proved she would take liquids and could keep them down we were able to be discharged. She nodded in and out of sleep all the way home while watching Winnie the Pooh. When we came in the house she had quite the melt down- throwing herself on the floor, kicking and screaming. She has finally settled down and is content to eat popsicles and sherbet while watching tv. Hopefully she'll get a nap in here somewhere too!

Slurpees solve all our problems around here! Her poor little face has scratches from when she was coming down from the anesthesia and bruises and burst blood vessels because she got so worked up :(

Praying that things continue to go well from here on out!

No comments: