Friday, December 23, 2011

Excitement on a Cold Winter's Night

We had quite a bit of excitement around here in the last 24 hours...

The hubby was out working last night on a generator around 9:30 when I heard a loud boom along with some colorful language. I thought, oh crap, he hurt himself and now were going to have to make a trip to the ER. The sight that awaited me caught me off guard.

I walked out into our dinning room to see flames leaping into the air near our garage. We're still not sure how Jason managed to escape the fire without any injuries. He must have had an angel on his side! The first thing he did was run into the garage and back our truck out. He said it was a 'raging inferno of heat' inside.

While I was on the phone with 911, Jason grabbed the hose and tried to contain the flames. He thought the garage was done for, but wanted to keep the fire away from our house and the neighbor's garage. In the end, he was actually able to put most of the flames out before the fire department arrived.

Overall, the damage in the grand scheme of things was pretty minor. We need a new garage door and some siding, along with a few items that were destroyed inside the garage. This summer we had discussed replacing our old garage door anyways, but decided against it since we put the house up for sale.

I am so grateful that God was watching over us that night, protecting us from a situation that could have turned out much differently. It certainly was enough excitement for this momma' and I pray that is the only fire situation I have to experience in my lifetime!

No comments: