Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pacifier Clip Tutorial

I've been planning to make these for months, but kept putting it off. With D-day just around the corner I decided it was finally time to get my buns in gear. I was going to wait until baby boy's arrival, but I figure if he doesn't take interest in pacifiers like his sister did I can always find someone else who  can use them.
You'll need 12 inch strips of ribbon, velcro, a lighter and an iron. Don't mind my ratty towel- I was to lazy to drag out my ironing board so I used this rag as a makeshift work space.

It never hurts to have a super cute Super Girl to watch over the process and cheer you on :)

First you'll want to seal the ends of your ribbon. Simply take the ribbon and melt the edges with the lighter to prevent the ends from fraying.

Then fold the edges of the ribbon and iron them down. One word of caution- the circles on my ribbon were painted on so they didn't hold up to extreme heat. I placed another rag on top of them before using the iron. Otherwise I found that the circles would run and come off onto my iron.

Then cut pieces of velcro to affix to the ribbon. You want to attach a piece to each end. I used velcro that has a heat activated backing. Once you stick it down, you hold the iron over it for 60 seconds to adhere it to the ribbon. If you want to be sure it stays secure you could always sew the pieces down as well.
Then attach the opposite piece of velcro about a 1/4 inch away from the first piece on each end of the ribbon.
It should look like this when you are done.
Now you can attach a clip to one end and the pacifier to the other. It's super easy to swap the clip from ribbon to ribbon and change it up. I can't wait to use these!

No comments: