Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Story Time

I just finished The Fiddler by Beverly Lewis and I loved it! I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that this book takes place in today's culture. For some reason I assumed that this took place 'back in the day'...

Picture courtesy of Amazon.com

Amelia is a 24 year old violinist who has been playing her entire life. While stuck between pleasing her parents and finding her true passion in life, she takes a detour one night and stumbles upon Hickery Hollow and a young Amish man who entrances her. She begins to question the path her life is taken- her career and her current relationship with a fellow musician.

Leaving everything behind, Amelia joins Michael for a break from all the pressure that she feels is closing in around her to live among his community for a few days. She discovers that she shares a common bond with him- they are both struggling to meet the expectations of others' while trying to find their own joy in life. I feel like it's a story we can all relate to!

I also love reading about Amish life, there is something that enchants me. :Like Amelia, I would love to spend a few days enveloped in the community to take a breather from our 'fancy' ways. Both characters were well developed and I enjoyed getting to know them. I can't wait for the next book in the series, due to come out some time in September.

Thanks to Bethany House publishers who sent me a free copy of The Fiddler by Beverly Lewis. It is not required that I give a positive review, but to express my own opinions of this book.

No comments: