Saturday, July 7, 2012

Salt Dough Fun

We've seen salt dough creations all over Pintrest now, so we decided to give it a shot. Obviously we did this a while ago based on Emma's attire in these pics- we haven't broken out long sleeves around her for over a month now.

I must say, nothing we did turned out quite as nice as the picture, but Emma loves messy, hands on activities so this was perfect for her!

My little helper and all our supplies.

You will need:
-2 cups flour
-1 cup of salt
-cold water
Mix the dry ingredients together and then add water until it has the consistency of play dough. Once your ready, bake at 250 for 2 hours. Once it's cool you can paint it as well.
Getting right to work.

I used a toothpick to make holes in the hearts and stars. I figured these would be great Christmas ornaments for the grandparents next year (normally I don't think that far in advance, but we needed something to do on a day we were stuck inside and come Christmas time Easton will require a bit more entertainment :)
Our handiwork prior to baking.
The aftermath left behind. Yes, that is a itty-bitty sock lying on the counter. I tried really hard to do both of the kiddos hand prints, but Easton was not on board for this project so I though doing his foot might be easier. Not so much.
The only thing that really did not turn out well was Emma's hand. It took several tries to get a good impression which meant folding the dough over and re flattening it several times. We must have missed an air bubble :( The hubs came home and thought these were cookies. He pushed on the hand print to see if they were done and broke right through it. He then proceeded to quiz me about why I would make such rock hard cookies....

For the most part this was a relatively easy project using items we had on hand. I may have to try another batch to see if we can achieve better results next time. I plan on using some of the hearts for ornaments or key chains and we are using the stars to create a mobile for the kids room. I'll try and post a picture later once Emma's finished painting her masterpiece.

No comments: