Thursday, August 30, 2012

4 Years Later...

Four years ago today I was feeling very hot, tired and simply ready to meet my baby girl. Yet after numerous doctor appointments I felt like it may never happen since every time I went in it was going to be 'any day now'. I was beginning to feel like that 'day' may never come.

After Jason got home from work, we decided to spend some more time on our basement project before getting some dinner. As we were hanging the last piece of ceiling my water broke. I wasn't even sure what had happened at first, but I finally told Jason that I thought it may be time to head to the hospital.

We took our time getting there since I wasn't having strong contractions. I notified my family so they could start their journey to our side of the state. Little did I know things would go quickly and we'd meet our precious princess so soon!

After being admitted the nurses and doctor had a hard time determining if Emma was in the correct position. They finally did an ultrasound only to discover that she had flipped and was not ready to exit on her own, stubborn little thing that she is. Next thing I know they were prepping me for a c-section.

I wasn't ready for this, it was not part of by birth plan. It was exciting to know I'd be holding her in less than an hour yet terrifying that they would be cutting me open to retrieve her. Things happened so fast. The next thing I know I'm laying on the operating table numb from the chest down.

I'll never forget the look on Jason's face when he saw her. Pure wonder and joy. What a precious gift we have been given. It still hits me at random moments- the awesome responsibility of bringing up this little girl.

Emma Grace you are so  loved! Your smile brings joy to all you meet, your laughter is contagious. I'm amazed to watch you grow and change as you learn new things about the world in which we live. You are such a daddy's girl, following him any where (even into the stinky pig barns :).

I know you will do awesome in preschool this year, learning many new things and forming new friendships. Your relationship with your little brother is so wonderful- you love to make him giggle and are fiercely protective of him.

We look forward to watching you as you continue to grow into the beautiful girl God has created!

Happy fourth birthday my adventurous, goofy, fun-loving girl!

No comments: