Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Twist on Suspenseful Romance

I just finished yet another book for the summer, this time by an author that is new to me. Inescapable by Nancy Mehl is about Lizze, a young Mennonite woman who left a home where she felt abused and unloved to start new. After being falsely accused of a crime she didn't commit, Lizzie feels forced to return to her hometown to hide. She quickly finds that the danger hasn't been left behind, but has followed her to Kingdom.
Source
The Mennonite community where the majority of this story takes places is a very unique setting. There are many Christian fiction novels rooted in the Amish community- this was a nice change. I was not entirely familiar with the customs and ideas behind this culture and I feel the author does a satisfactory job giving the reader insight to their way of life.

I also feel like Nancy did a great job with the underlying themes in this story. The older generation in the book almost try to limit God. There are also deep tones of forgiveness, love and grace throughout.

While I never felt a strong connection with the characters, the mystery alone kept me from putting down the book. There are many twists and turns through out that you are sometimes not sure what is coming next. It starts of slow, but once you get reading hold on for the ride!

Thanks to Bethany House publishers who sent me a free copy. It is not required that I give a positive review, but to express my own opinions of this book.

No comments: