Saturday, August 4, 2012

'Touching the Sky'

As much as I love the author Tracie Peterson, I was a little disappointed when I first started out reading Touching the Sky. It is the second book in her 'Land of the Lone Star' series. However, it turned out to be a good story in it's own right.

I was expecting a continuation of the characters from the first book, Chasing the Sun that I reviewed last month. At first I was bummed because they were no where to be found even as I advanced through the chapters. Yet as I kept reading, I began to be drawn into a whole new story line complete with a new cast.

I will say at some point in the story a few individuals make a cameo debut, but there roles are minor. While I would have liked to have their tale continue it was nice to not have to worry about whether you've completed the first story in the series to fully appreciate this one.

This story follows Laura, after the Civil War has ended. She is drawn into a relationship with a former Union solider. I loved to watch their relationship unfold and the friendly banter between the two. When her younger sister hastily marries a Confederate solider trouble begins in paradise. Laura feels she is forced between love and family.

I do feel as though this story was a little slow getting started, but it really picked up at the end making it hard to put down. I'm hoping to get my hands on Taming the Wind, Tracie's third book in the stories where it looks like book one and two meet- it comes out in September!

Thanks to Bethany House publishers who sent me a free copy. It is not required that I give a positive review, but to express my own opinions of this book

No comments: