Saturday, May 18, 2013

Toppling Over Tulips

I'm pretty sure I've stated this many times in the past, but I have a complete love-hate relationship with Tulip Time. I enjoy strolling downtown, partaking in the food vendors and festival activities. I can not stand the crowds though. I think I made a record number of trips to 8th Street this year since we were blessed to have both my mom and dad come for visits. I typically have high expectations for partaking in all the entertainment available, but then reality hits and I realize what a chore it is to load up two little people to fight the crowds by myself. May in Michigan is so unpredictable you need multiple layers of clothing along, as well as snacks, drinks, camera, diapers, etc. Plus some way to transport it all. Just thinking about it exhausts me!

My mom came for a surprise visit on Monday and we were able to hit the carnival before she had to leave town. Emma was allowed to pick any ride, but she chose the trampoline. This is what she picks at every fair we go. Never mind that it is the most expensive activity, nor the fact that we have one at home- silly girl.
Grandma proceeded to ignore my one ride rule and Emma took a spin on the motorcycles as well as playing two games. Thank goodness she didn't win a fish. It would have been a long ride back to Flint in a plastic bag :) We did get to bring some well constructed stuffed lizards home that the dog would love to claim as his own.
Keeping E-man entertained while we waited for sissy.
A few days later my dad came to stay and attended the parade with us on Wednesday. It proved to be quite a warm afternoon for parade watching, especially if you were not one of the lucky few to score a spot in the shade. Of course Emma and Easton had to be hefted up above the crowd, making things just a touch warmer. When the parade was over, we caught a free puppet show in the family rest area. We've seen this particular performer in the past and Emma loves him. It was a great way to end the afternoon.

Now, a week later, I finally got up the gumption to pile all our stuff into the van again and hit Centennial Park to get pics of the kids in their costumes. I love to have the photos, but I dread taking them. I have a feeling next year will be even more challenging... There was a local lady advertising her services on FB to take photos for $15 and I'll admit I seriously considered it. After the way our photo shoot went, I may have to hunt her down for TT 2014. I got a few good ones, but Eason is no longer one to sit still for more than 5 seconds which hardly gives me time to step away from him and focus my camera.



This is how he really felt about having his pictures taken...
Easton only took out two tulips in the process and all photographic evidence has been deleted. They can't get too upset now since the festival is officially over right?!? It was primarily another successful year. At least there were tulips to take pictures with as apposed to the 'Stem Festival' of 2012!

No comments: