Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve 2013

We went to my grandma and grandpa Doyle's house for our Christmas festivities per tradition. My lack of pictures is disappointing again, but I at least got all the family ones. Everyone was thrilled that I voted to do them before dinner this year...


My grandparents with all the grandkids and great grandkids

Following pictures we snacked on delicious appetizers, stuffed ourselves silly with prime rib and mashed potatoes  and then take a break to do our Christmas program. This portion has changed and developed over the years. My brothers are currently in charge.

The kids all have lines to read out of the Christmas story. We sing songs by candle light. I love it and hope it is a memory my kiddos cherish some day too. Almost everything about our evening is predictable because we have been doing it for so long.
From there we open gifts. Then we move on to dessert before we have to go our seperate ways. This year there was one thing that was drastically different. Earlier in the week Michigan experienced violent wind storms so my grandparents were without power.

Thankfully they have a generator that ran all of the necessities, but it definitely kept things interesting. I'm still in awe of all the food my grandma was able to make without an oven. Every year she sends our families home with a coffee cake for Christmas morning. I assumed we wouldn't get one this year, but she was able to make them in her roaster!

We also lost the generator while they were finishing up the prime rib. It definetly kept the night interesting! So thankful to have so many family members to celebrate with.

No comments: