Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cheap and Easy Tablecloth

I've been looking for an inexpensive tablecloth for the table in my entryway for a long time now. I've had a few that I rotate through the seasons, but I wanted something different. The daisy one I use in the summer time is starting to look a bit faded and tired from the sun. I also have one that I use during the winter that is a bit stained, hidden by carefully placed decorations.

Suddenly an idea came to me- burlap. Simple, inexpensive and will fit in with my decor nicely. It was very easy to do. My awesome mom picked up a few yards for me at Joanns and I went right to work. Once I decided on the size I wanted, I used a seam ripper to pull a thread out all the way down the side. I then cut down the line where the thread was missing to get a nice straight line. It will fray a bit. If you want to you could easily fold a bit over and run a seam down the line, but I like the rustic look.


I love how it turned out! I would recommend letting the fabric sit outside for a while before using. It seems to have a distinct smell that is taking over. It's not practical for an actual table, but great for decorative purposes. I also have a few yards of a off white burlap so I can switch it up. Now I just have to figure out what to use the extra pieces for :)

No comments: