Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Rest of the Festivities...

I love Christmas time, but I do grow weary after all the celebrations. It is amazing to be able to get together with all of the family and catch up since we aren't able to see my side as often. However, once all the running around is done it is nice to come home and settle back into a routine.
The weekend before Christmas we had two parties- one with my father-in-law's extended family and one with Jason's immediate family.
Reading books with Aunt Jessica
Checking out her new camper for her doll house
Then three of us celebrated Christmas on Christmas eve morning. Once we were done it was time to clean up and get ready for the first of many celebrations to come over the next three days.
Excitement over her new semi, just like Daddy's. Complete with piggies to haul!

Not sure who enjoyed the semi and Lego's more :)
We packed up and headed to my grandma's house in the afternoon to see my mom's side of the family. Each year we have dinner, do our own candle light Christmas program, open presents and then have dessert. It was a little bitter sweet this year without having my Aunt Lydia there to lead us with her beautiful voice, but I know she was there with us.
The annual family photo in front of the tree
Around 9:30 we packed the car up again and headed to my mom's house for the night. With all the busyness I was unable to sleep once we got there, so I stayed up and chatted with my mom until the wee hours of the morning. This has become a tradition for us over the last few years. Typically we are wrapping presents during this time, but this year she was more prepared. So we did some baking instead :)
At 8:00 the next morning the house was bursting with excitement between my little one and my brothers. They could hardly wait to get started on the presents. Once gifts were opened we had a feast for breakfast. We also talked to my grandparents on the phone and opened up the gifts they sent from Arkansas.
Emma surrounded by the gifts to be opened at Grandma's
Around 4:00 we packed up once again to head to my dad's to do Christmas one last time. We opened gifts with him and his girlfriend Brenda before having dinner and settling in for the night. On Monday, we were able to have a visit with my best buddy from high school Teresa before having lunch and heading back to Holland.
Emma and Papa Spence opening presents.
By the time we arrived home around 4:30, this momma was beat! Then comes the unpacking and finding homes for all the new goodies we've received. Let's just say the garage sale pile continues to grow as I purge old things to make way for the new.

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas season!

No comments: